FC5 uudecode missing?

alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon Apr 17 18:36:49 UTC 2006

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Scot L. Harris wrote:

>>> Install "sharutils".  It is in there.
>>>
>>> Personally I think that should be part of the base install.  There are
>>> still programs that require it to build correctly, such as the madwifi
>>> drivers. It takes up little space.  I guess it is just one of those
>>> forgotten packages that you don't figure you need until much later.
>

>> Thanks very much. Is 'sharutils' in Extras, or is it on the DVD?
>>

> sharutils appears to be part of core and should be on the DVD.

"yum install sharutils" works for me.

I know it is on the DVD. I think it should be part of the base install,
but that may just be me.  (I also think "tree" should be part of the base
install.)

>> If the latter, I'll want to reopen the "everything" discussion. The only
>> packages I didn't select for installation were those in language support.
>
> I hit this same problem in a previous version of FC.  At the time what I
> found odd was that the man page for the uudecode utility was included on
> the system but the actual program was not.  IMHO the man page should be
> packaged with the program and both installed at the same time.  The man
> page without the program is kind of silly.

I agree.

> As to the everything discussion, please don't.  That horse is dead a few
> times over and from past discussions this would not be the list to have
> that discussion yet again.

Maybe we need an "install nothing" option.

More productive would be an option to install all -devel packages whenever
you install a package.  (Maybe an option if you check "Developer".)

--
"Waiter! This lambchop tastes like an old sock!" - Sheri Lewis