NFS problems on FC1/5

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Mon Apr 17 19:13:33 UTC 2006

Steven Pasternak wrote:
> I used the redhat tool on the FC1
> machine to set up the server, and even restarted the /etc/init.d/nfs
> file.

You need to make sure that "portmap", "nfs", and "nfslock" are all
running on the server.

> On the FC5 machine (client), I have tried with nautilus, but it
> just doesn't see the other computer.

I don't know what you mean, that you "tried with nautilus".  As far as I
know, Nautilus doesn't support NFS, and since NFS servers don't announce
themselves the way that SMB servers do, I wouldn't expect anyone to have
an NFS browser.

> I set the host to * in /etc/exports (like in mandriva), and
> had an almost identical rest of the file. Mandriva, though, had a tool
> to find shares on the network, where fedora just has nautilus. What am I
> doing wrong?

Trying to use Nautilus, I suppose.

Make sure that "portmap" and "nfslock" are both started on the client host.

As root, on your client, you can use "rpcinfo -p <server>" to list the
RPC services on the host named "server".  You should see nfs, nlockmgr,
and mountd in that list.  You can use "showmount -e <server>" to list
the exports available on the "server", as well.

As you've observed, though, there's no GUI tool for managing NFS servers
or other mounts.  Once you know the path to your NFS volume, you'll need
to put it in /etc/fstab yourself.