Problems in upgrading in grahical mode of FC4 to FC5

Joep Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Tue Apr 18 21:47:38 UTC 2006

alan wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Joep Blom wrote:
>
>> I have the following problem installing FC5. I had installed FC3 en
>> FC4 so I did an upgrade.
>> System: AMD64 3000+, 1 GB,disk: 80 GB, DVD-ROM & DVD rewriter.
>> Installation from (selfburned) DVD.
>> Video: card nvidia; LCD monitor :H-freq: 31-81; V-freq. 56-75.
>> Problems:
>>  1. When starting installation in graphical mode, screen goes black
>> with a small window saying: "signal out of sync".
>> 2. Installation in text mode is completed but X is not installed and
>> even the old X libraries are all removed. Therefore graphical mode is
>> also not possible any more in FC4 (luckily FC3 still works as it is
>> on another partition and I UPGRADED FC4 to FC5).
>> My questions:
>> A. Is the problem known and how to solve it.
>> B. How can I (re) install the X windows system.
>> Hope anybody can help me out!
>

> Did you have the commercial nvidia drivers installed?
>
> If you can ssh into the machine, change the default init in
> /etc/inittab from 5 to 3 and reboot. Once you are in text mode, you
> can fix the problem without the hastle of a blank screen.
>
> nvidia has a new driver that works under FC5.  You will need to have
> kernel-devel and xorg-x11-server-sdk installed.
>
> If you have a copy of your old working xorg.conf, check to see if the
> monitor definition is correct.  There is also a log file in /var/log/
> that will tell you more information about why x did not come up
> correctly.

Alan,
Thanks for the quick reply. I just got in again (had obligations).
I don't think I can solve it in this way as the problem arises when I
boot from the DVD. The only drivers available are those on the DVD and
they give the problem. I read somewhere that it could be solved by
starting with "linux vesa", but I haven't tried that.
I hope one of the developers of the installation software can give a
solution or the reason why this behavior arises.
I cannot imagine that the developers don't install a general (vesa)
driver to access any current card. By the way, normally I work with a
1024x1268 resolution without any problem with the standard drivers as I
have had problems with the nvidia drivers in FC4.
The largest problem is that all X-related software seems to be removed
by the installation. That's the reason why X is not available.I would
like to reinstall it either from the update directories, using yum or
from the DVD. However "yum install X" doesn't work (!).
Do you know a quick way to install the different X-software?.
Joep