Strange freezes on Fedora 5

Thomas Widhalm widhalmt at unix.sbg.ac.at
Wed Apr 19 08:33:49 UTC 2006

Hi!

I already managed to get my girlfriend leaving windows and using linux.
Unfortunately this is the only occurence where a system freezes on a
regular basis.

Whenever she leaves the system a little bit (and once, while she worked)
the system freezes. To my suprise the one time it happened, when she was
working, the screen went to power save some time after it. I can't
connect via ssh to the system  when this occurs. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace
won't work, switching to another console neither.

We have Fedora Core 5 with KDE. Attached to 2 SuSE server, where I mount
the homes ( I made extra /home/fc5 directories which I mount as /home on
the fedora box, so I won't mount a SuSE home. I also mount /home of the
servers as /suse_home on fedora, so I can make a symbolic link to the
suse homes into the fedora homes ) and have a NIS server running.

/var/log messages won't tell me any interesting things. Neither on the
fedora box, nor on the servers. The only thing which get's me worried a
bit is:

Apr 19 09:55:52 snoopy gconfd (ina-2746): (Version 2.14.0) wird
gestartet, Prozesskennung 2746, Benutzer »ina«
Apr 19 09:55:52 snoopy gconfd (ina-2746): Die Adresse
»xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory« wurde an der Position 0 zu
einer nur lesbaren Konfigurationsquelle aufgelöst
Apr 19 09:55:52 snoopy gconfd (ina-2746): Die Adresse
»xml:readwrite:/home/ina/.gconf« wurde an der Position 1 zu einer
schreibbaren Konfigurationsquelle aufgelöst
Apr 19 09:55:52 snoopy gconfd (ina-2746): Die Adresse
»xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults« wurde an der Position 2 zu
einer nur lesbaren Konfigurationsquelle aufgelöst

Which is German for:
xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory« gets resolved on position 0
as a readable configuration source
»xml:readwrite:/home/ina/.gconf« gets resolved on position 1 as a
readable and writable configuration source
»xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults« gets resolved on position 2
as a readable configuration source

Could anybody give me a hint, where I could look further.

Best regards,
Thomas Widhalm

- --

* Thomas Widhalm                             Unix Administrator *
* University of Salzburg                       ITServices (ITS) *
* Systems Management                               Unix Systems *
* Hellbrunnerstr. 34                     5020 Salzburg, Austria *
* widhalmt at unix.sbg.ac.at                     +43/662/8044-6774 *
* gpg: 6265BAE6                                                 *
* http://www.sbg.ac.at/zid/organisation/mitarbeiter/widhalm.htm *