FC5 re-mapping multimedia keys problem

Ingemar Nilsson init at pdc.kth.se
Wed Apr 19 16:54:04 UTC 2006

Frank Pineau <frank at pineaus.com> writes:

> I have a Compaq NX9010 lappy with some multimedia keys.  In FC3 and FC4,
> I used the omnibook kernel module and the keyboard shortcuts applet to
> activate and map those buttons.  In FC5, one of the buttons
> (specifically the "lock" button) seems to be pre-mapped to shutdown the
> computer.  I can still remap the key in the applet using the omnibook
> module (set to screensaver in this case), but it still tries to execute
> a shutdown.  Does anyone know where else that key might be configured?

In FC4, there is a directory called

/etc/acpi/events/

where you can map (by writing a config file) certain events to commands,
like mapping the event button/power.* to shutdown -h now.

I cannot look at FC5 right now, since I'm not at home (my home computer
runs FC5, my laptop runs FC4).

Regards
Ingemar