Downgrading kernel in FC4

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 18:44:15 UTC 2006

On 4/19/06, patrick <gibblertron at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering what is the proper procedure to downgrade the kernel
> (and perhaps other packages) in FC4? I have a computer with a VIA
> chipset, and the latest kernel causes the computer to freeze up after
> about a day or so of playing MP3 files straight. At first I thought it
> might be player software itself, so I replaced mpg321 with mplayer,
> but the same thing still happens. I suspect it is either an upgraded
> kernel or alsa-lib that's to blame, as this problem didn't happen
> prior to a "yum update".
>
> Thanks,
>
> Patrick

Unless you have modified the default settings for yum the previous
kernel should still be installed on your system. Do your self a favor:
As superuser edit /boot/grub/menu.lst. Comment out "hiddenmenu" so it
looks thus

# hiddenmenu

Save the file. When you reboot grub will present you with a menu
selection of kernel(s) to boot.

P.S. You might want to change the "timeout=5" to "timeout=10" to give
yourself a little room to make a decision.