Missing dependency libpisock.so.8 for evolution

Gerry Doris gdoris at rogers.com
Wed Apr 19 19:01:15 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Savoie" <psavoie1783 at rogers.com>
To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 11:56 PM
Subject: Re: Missing dependency libpisock.so.8 for evolution

> On Tuesday 18 April 2006 22:25, Jeffrey D. Yuille wrote:
>> On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 19:59 -0400, Erik Hemdal wrote:
>> > Software Updater fails to apply updates on my system because an update
>> > for evolution requires libpisock.so.8.  Same thing happens with a
>> > conventional 'yum update' -- the dependency check fails.
>> >
>> > My system has libpisock.so.9 installed with the pilot-link package.
>> > It's a fresh install of FC5.  This is only the second yum update I have
>> > run on the machine.  So that explains why the dependency is missing,
>> > but
>> > not how it came about.  Is this due to a conflict between evolution and
>> > pilot-link; a user error; or a packaging problem somewhere along the
>> > line?
>> >
>> > Can't find anything in the recent list postings, which is why I'm
>> > posting.  Anyone else see this?
>> >
>> > Thanks!   Erik
>>
>>      Yes, I have seen the same thing but at this time, I don't know how
>> to resolve this.
>
> I just waited an hour and updated again.  No error this time.
>
> Phil

This is likely more a yum question than evolution but here goes...

I've installed spamassassin 3.11 via CPAN.  This is a level higher than
what's available using yum.  I would like to update evolution but yum
insists that I need to install spamassassin first.  Is there any way to
force the install using yum?  I suppose I could download all the rpm
packages (there are several needed to resolve dependencies) and install them
manually but would prefer to have yum take care of it.