trouble installing FC5 - dont believe media check fail!

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 07:53:18 UTC 2006

On 4/19/06, Russell Golden <dragonite.wylie at verizon.net> wrote:
> Kam Leo wrote:

> >>1. What you should do is run the checksums on the iso file *before*
> >>bothering to burn the CD.
> >>
> >>2. The CD's media check fails sometimes even on good CD's.
> >>
> >>3. Use the CD's you first made; unless you have a near to failing CD
> >>drive, it is highly likely that the CD's you already made are right to go !
> >>
> >>4. see http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=111952741800002&r=1&w=2
> >>and also the fedora-test list for more recent discussions.
> >>

> >Also burn at a slower speed. Your burner may be able to read/write
> >media at 48x, but it does not mean that the installer drive will be
> >able to read them. Believe me, I have created enough coasters because
> >I did not pay attention and let the burner software use the default
> >writing speed.
> >

> the computers in my house, except for my laptop, are crap. My max
> writing speed is 24x (laptop), the other computer with a burner writes
> at 12x. the laptop reads at 24x, the others read at 32x (yeah, newer
> computer, slower drive. go figure). would it be better to write with the
> 12x drive?

Yes, it would. Why? Because the 12x drive has the poorer/older
algorithms for writing to various media. The laptop's drive, being
newer, probably has improved electronics and read/write algorithms.
Unless you have a dog of a drive the laptop drive can more readily
read the older drive's output than the other way around.