Wireless Routers for Linux?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Apr 20 18:38:22 UTC 2006

Can anyone suggest a "wireless" router they have had success with?

I bought a Linksys WRT54g, gave up on it and returned it.  The
installation software only works with Windows and our efforts at
installing it on a Mac were frustrating to say the least. Tech support
is through New Delhi, the people are fine but the language problem is
near impossible!  That was replaced with a Belkin 54g which at least
came with usable installation software  but the quality is poor,  I'm
about to return the second one with an intermittent power connector
which has been causing maddening problems.

My FC5 Linux system has a Linksys WET54G "wireless" bridge.  I
discovered that when you get that configured wrong there is no way to
restore factory defaults except with a Windows computer and the supplied
installation software.

The HP6840 printer has the RF link built in but has a button pressing
routine that will restore the defaults without the provided software!

Any thoughts on the best solution to my problems will be appreciated.
This router needs to be returned but is there something else that will
be better suited to my situation or should I risk another of the same
type?  Ideally something that would be manageable from my FC5 system.

I realize this is not a straight forward FC-5 problem but my Linux
computer won't work on-line until I get this worked out and I doubt I'm
the only one with problems like this.

Thank you.

Bob Goodwin   Zuni, Virginia