Wireless Routers for Linux?

Zane C.B. zanecb at midwest-connections.com
Thu Apr 20 21:59:45 UTC 2006

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:38:22 -0400
Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a "wireless" router they have had success with?
>
> I bought a Linksys WRT54g, gave up on it and returned it.  The
> installation software only works with Windows and our efforts at
> installing it on a Mac were frustrating to say the least. Tech
> support is through New Delhi, the people are fine but the language
> problem is near impossible!  That was replaced with a Belkin 54g
> which at least came with usable installation software  but the
> quality is poor,  I'm about to return the second one with an
> intermittent power connector which has been causing maddening
> problems.
>
> My FC5 Linux system has a Linksys WET54G "wireless" bridge.  I
> discovered that when you get that configured wrong there is no way to
> restore factory defaults except with a Windows computer and the
> supplied installation software.
>
> The HP6840 printer has the RF link built in but has a button pressing
> routine that will restore the defaults without the provided software!
>
> Any thoughts on the best solution to my problems will be
> appreciated. This router needs to be returned but is there something
> else that will be better suited to my situation or should I risk
> another of the same type?  Ideally something that would be manageable
> from my FC5 system.
>
> I realize this is not a straight forward FC-5 problem but my Linux
> computer won't work on-line until I get this worked out and I doubt
> I'm the only one with problems like this.

If that is a pre-version 5, then there are some sites offering linux
for download for it. If it a version 5, I suggest you either return it
or sell it.

The version 5 has nasty problems if you try to set it statically, will
NAK address never even offered to it, will assign it's self address
never even offered to it, will actually hand out improper DNS servers
when a DHCP request is made, will randomly reset it's self back to
factory defaults, and some others I have seen but can't remember
currently.

Still despite being a total POS, I suggest you check your network
settings. It should default to the SSID linksys with and be totally
open. Default password is admin. Default IPv4# is 192.168.1.1 with a
subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.