Router as embedded Linux?

Neil Cherry ncherry at comcast.net
Fri Apr 21 12:04:46 UTC 2006

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Neil Cherry wrote:
>> Mike McCarty wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone considered using a cheap router as a cheap embedded
>>> Linux machine? Or are the peripherals present just too skimpy?
>>

>> You mean like a Soerkis box? Or the WRT54G (a MIPS processor, I
>> think). I had a working setup on a PC running at 333MHz, no hard
>> drive, net booted, 64M RAM (only needed 12M).
>
> Yes, that's the idea. I was wondering about tinkering around
> with a router as an embedded machine. Some years ago, I fiddled
> with a couple of machines which were originally modems, with
> 8031 processors in them. They made fine little embedded processors.
> I used the LED ports (you know, the status LEDs like "high speed",
> and "DTR" and "CTS" etc.) for my output bits, and the DIP switch
> configuration I took out to a panel for input bits, and of course
> it had RS232 built in.

I don't think that Linux will run on a 8031. :-) But there are
other such projects. Some one suggested the slug (Linksys
NSLU2) which is a good example of what you can do. I have a
camera that runs Linux (NC1000-W10) unfortunately they
didn't release the source but I'm hacking at it. Eventually
I'll be able to recompile Linux and it's tools. I also have
an old Zyxel and Netgear router that I may try to put Linux
on. It didn't run Linux when it first came out but they
have ARM chips and enough RAM and flash.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site