Network or USBDisk install?

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Fri Apr 21 13:58:11 UTC 2006

> for hardware compatibility a live Linux CD is o.k.
> But an USB disk is great as you can start any box from an USB port
> (please note that not all BIOS allow USB boot..but this is another
> story)
>
> --
> Antonio Montagnani
> Skype : antoniomontag

Not much luck here. I did figure out that my laptop will allow a boot
from the USB drive. Not a very intuitive menu system in the BIOS.

Anyway, I removed my internal drive so there is no chance of anything
getting screwed up. Boot off the FC5 DVD with the USB drive plugged in,
but the install says it can't find any devices to install it.

This is strange because I also tried Suse OSS 10 and it will install on
the USB disk. Unfortunately, it fails during bootup. It starts to boot
off the drive but then bombs part way.

James