How to rename an existing/working partition?

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Fri Apr 21 20:39:29 UTC 2006

Jim Christiansen wrote:
> I have sort of a regular method upgrading my Redhat/FC servers by using
> two drives and multiple partitions.  My usual  habit for upgrading
> systems is to recable my old and working master to slave and the old
> slave to master and at install not to reformate the old master-  I just
> relabel it as /old-slash.
>
> After everything settles down I clear off the /old-slash in stages and
> then write an rsync script to take my new homes across at midnight
> everyday...
>
> I'm getting tired of seeing /old-slash show up in the root of my file
> system.
>
> I'm using FC5 now and want to rename /old-slash to something less boring
> :-)  - maybe /backup or maybe /rsync-drive...
>
> Does anyone know how to do this??  I've searched around but not found
> anything clear yet.
>
> Thanks,  Jim

if your /etc/fstab uses a line similar to this:
LABEL=/old-slash	/old-slash	~other settings~

then you know that the filesystem label is "/old-slash" and you can use
"tune2fs -L /backup" to change it.

you will then need to create your new "/backup" mountpoint andedit
/etc/fstab to look like this:
LABEL=/backup		/backup		~other settings~

and as always:
man tune2fs first so you know exactly what you'll be doing.

--
Anthony

Website: http://messinet.com
Gallery: http://gallery.messinet.com/main.php?g2_itemId=34

GnuPG Key / Fingerprint:
0xB0014A4E / 8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E

Registered Linux User #389089 - Get counted!: http://counter.li.org