FC5 audio problem RESOLVED

Loren Lockwood lockwoodlo at cantv.net
Fri Apr 21 20:40:16 UTC 2006

Loren Lockwood wrote:
> I recently upgraded from FC4 to FC5 and found that Audacity no longer works.
>
> Audio CD's play okay, the various grunts and bonks of system sounds are
> heard, mplayer plays mp3's, so does zinf (after claiming that the sound
> system is busy) and so does mpg321.
>
> But Audacity gives me the message, "There was an error initializing the
> i/o layer.  You will not be able to play or record audio.  Error: Host
> error."
>
> A day or two ago System | Administration | Soundcard Detection could not
> produce sound.  When I clicked the appropriate button, the text
> immediately below changed from "-- Stopped --" to "-- Playing --" and
> almost instantaneously back to "-- Stopped --", without my ever hearing
> any sound.  Now, but some magic, it works correctly.  It changes to "--
> Playing --" and stays that way as long as the sound is playing.  I can't
> think of anything I have done which would fix that.
>
> If only the same thing would happen with Audacity!
>
> I have uninstalled and reinstalled Audacity a couple of times using yum
> with no solution to the problem.
>
> Anybody have an idea what has gone wrong?

All that was necessary was to delete the file ~/.audacity and run the
prog again.  It seems that when yum removes an app, it does not remove
the corresponding configuration files.

BTW, the Soundcard detection problem was apparently fixed by a kernel
update which I didn't notice had happened until later.

Cheers.

Loren