[OTs] free video hardware

A.J. Bonnema abonnema at xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 23 03:20:02 UTC 2006

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 10:08:37 +0200,
>   "A.J. Bonnema" <abonnema at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> What I am looking for is 3D performance. I will just go and see if I can
>> find a comparison of Radeon 9200 and other cards (like my radeon 800 XL).
>>

> Another nice thing about 9200s is that they don't need a fan for the card,
> so its quieter.

Cool. There is enough noise as it is.
>> BTW my own card works well with the radeon driver for 2D, but I am
>> looking for 3D performance too (I don't know why, but I like playing
>> games :{  )
>>

> The driver for the 9200 uses the 3d features of the card. The reason things
> are slower is that the card is an older model.

Ok. Do you know which driver we are talking about here? I assume you
don't mean the ati driver? Is it the radeon driver?
The card being slower is no problem, as long as it has about the same 3D
capabilities for rendering in games, albeit at a slower speed.
> If you buy a 9200, stay away from the SE cards.

Why?
> Also note that free software support for ATI r300 based cards is being worked
> on. I don't know the exact state of things, but my impression is that the
> the driver is usable now.

I am not clear on the series in ATI. FC5 identified my card as r430. Is
the 9200 one of the r300 based cards?

Guus.

--
A.J. Bonnema, Leiden The Netherlands,