/proc/cpuinfo discrepancy

Tony Crouch acrouch2 at une.edu.au
Sun Apr 23 10:22:27 UTC 2006

Hi All,
After doing a fresh install of FC5 and fiddling with some of the gnome
panel applets, I came across the cpu-scaler. It seems odd, to me, that
it says my processor is only 668MHz when it is meant to be (and under
older FC distributions the same applet came up with 3.06GHz, the correct
readout).

The readout from /proc/cpuinfo is:

> [tony at localhost proc]$ cat cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 15
> model           : 2
> model name      : Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4     CPU 3.06GHz
> stepping        : 9
> cpu MHz         : 668.000
> cache size      : 512 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 2
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe cid xtpr
> bogomips        : 6127.27

Was wondering if someone could shed some light onto the discrepancy
between the known processor value and the one stated in cpuinfo.

Cheers,
Tony Crouch
--
GPG Key fingerprint = EEB2 6364 791C 3BE2 A008  22D0 C469 950C 7C5A EE77