High CPU usage for beagled-helper

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sun Apr 23 14:26:42 UTC 2006

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006, Tim wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 19:52 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>> Also see
>>
>> http://beaglewiki.org/Enabling_Extended_Attributes
>
> So every file indexed by it is going to get modified (well, it's
> attributes).  That doesn't sound like a smart idea to me.

(1) It wasn't my idea, I just provided the information.

(2) Everything is a compromise.  If beagle performance is a concern, it
appears one has three options (modulo improvements in beagle
implementation):

 	- live with it
 	- live without it
 	- try the suggestion

(3) Somebody obviously thought there were reasonable use cases for this
sort of thing, or it wouldn't have mainline kernel support.

(3) These aren't the usual attributes.  See 'man 5 attr'.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu