Re: A question on installing - FC5 32bit and M$Win2000

On 4/24/06, Timothy Murphy <tim birdsnest maths tcd ie> wrote:

> A /boot partition is not required,
> but there is an overwhelmingly strong reason for having one
> on a dual boot system.

Other than LVM I'm not sure what that is?

> If you don't, and something goes wrong when updating Fedora
> you are in a mess,
> as the grub files will not be available.

I'm not sure how it would make a difference if you weren't using LVM?

If your grub information was on a EXT3 /boot or EXT3 / partition, I
would imagine that either configuration is equally susceptible to
problems with update errors or whatnot. Any grub or kernel update has
to write to /boot/grub regardless of what partition it resides ... or
am I missing something?

-Mauriat