[Dillo-dev] Dillo 0.8.5-2.fc5 suddenly having problems as default browser under FC5

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Tue Apr 25 14:48:47 UTC 2006

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Francis Daly wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 05:35:15PM -0400, beartooth wrote:
>
> As far as I can see, dillo-0.8.5-2.fc5 dates from April 5th, while
> dillo-0.8.5-1.fc5 dates from March 4th.
>
> The main difference between the two is the addition of the
> dillo-0.8.5-i18n-misc-20060105.diff.bz2 patch into the new version.
>
> So, if you've been updating reasonably frequently, then it may be safe
> to guess that things worked with dillo-0.8.5-1.fc5 and fail with
> dillo-0.8.5-2.fc5?

 	Most probably; there is often a discernible lag between the
appearance of any new version of an app and its arrival in the Fedora
repositories for yum.

> You can possibly demonstrate that this is the case by downgrading to
> dillo-0.8.5-1.fc5 and seeing if it works as it used to.

 	For the first time in my experience, I'd like to try -- but I have
no idea how to downgrade anything. Is there a "yum downgrade" command?? I
could get an rpm, I'm sure; but I'm a little uneasy about doing rpm -f, or
for that matter anything as root with an -f switch.

>> If I open Dillo from its icon in the browser drawer on my panel, it
>> tells me "Welcome to Dillo 0.8.5-i18n-misc" -- but rpm -q dillo says
>> dillo-0.8.5-2.fc5.
>
> Yes, that's the patched version.  I believe the splash screen has some
> hints for problem reports.

 	Maybe it used to; I disremember. What I get by launching it now is
a thing like a miniature icon on the desktop: a round-topped vertical blue
rectangle with a white bottom, half the size of my little fingernail. The
cursor, touching it, immediately turns into a double-tipped diagonal with
which to drag to corner to resize it. That done, it says "about:splash" in
the location bar, and "Welcome to Dillo 0.8.5-i18n-misc" on the gray
background.

 	The rest looks like a drawing of tables of words, with just lines
to represent phrases.

 	View > Options gives a screen called Dillo Preferences -- which is
new and welcome to me, but, alas!, doesn't work.

 	On the Interface tab, resetting panel size may do something; can't
tell. Setting window size up to 1000 x 700 gets me something that might be
of use (on a ViewSonic VG91-b 19" flat panel LCD monitor, 1280 x 1024) --
but I still see nothing remotely readable where text looks meant to be.

 	The font tab comes up with "font factor" (something I never heard
of) set to 0.1; I just reset to 1.5, and now see text. Better let me play
around a while -- this is beginning to remind me of RH/Fedora's bad old
days, when any app came up requiring configuration before first use -- not
only no usable defaults out of the box, but no defaults at all. PLEASE do
not go back to that!

> If you can give a recipe for reproducing any of the problems with
> vanilla dillo, I'll take a look into it.

 	Now that I can see something I can read, I'd better play around a
while, to see what I can see, and then report.

> For me (not on FC5):
>
> $ ./dillo --version
> Dillo 0.8.5
> $ ./dillo www.dillo.org

 	Tried that both as user and as root; got the same both ways :

bash: ./dillo: No such file or directory

> happily opens http://www.dillo.org

 	That still gives me ERROR: unable to connect to remote host. I'll
go look at it on another browser.

 	Stay tuned.
--
Beartooth Staffwright, Neo-Redneck Linux Enthusiast
A wanderstaff like an Elvish rope should be long,