Re: USB thumb drive questio

Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 11:09 -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
>> Linux really doesn't care much about the partition type.  It's going
>> to look for the file system signatures and, pretty much, ignore the
>> partition type codes in the partition tables.
>
> It might be used to preselect what type of format to do to a new
> partition, by default...

I am not sure what "It" is, but partitions are not formatted when
they are created - you have to specify the type of formatting you
want done. One thing to keep in mind - if you do not specify that
you want FAT32, then mkdosfs will not create a FAT32 file system. I
am not sure, but I believe this is to maintain computability with
the widest range of DOS versions.

Mikkel