NetworkManager: A User's Review

nicola .:kOoLiNuS:. losito linux at koolinus.net
Wed Apr 26 22:39:33 UTC 2006

Il giorno mer, 26/04/2006 alle 08.28 -0600, Charles Curley ha scritto:

> NM's documentation is pathetic. Such documentation as exists is on the
> NM web site, making it rather useless if you're trying to access the
> net somewhere. (When else would the ordinary user care to see NM
> documentation?)

It's a bit late & i am tired but US people are waking up right now
so ....

Premise: i enjoy using gnome, and it's evolution ....

But the _pathetic_ documentation can be seen al ALL the new software
"made in mono". How are we supposed to USE some software ?

For example, wpa_supplicant has to be installed ? has to be manually
configured ? has to be turned on as a service ?

In my home lan i've managed to connect in all these 3 scenarios, always
ending up being disconnected and _never_ be able to connect again in the
same working session.

I {and seems i'm not alone} am desperately searching a list of
procedures to go to actually enjoy an everyday wireless usage as
described from mr. P. Johnson.

The only program that has in some way accomplished to configure "on the
fly" my network was NetGo (on SUSE 10.0) but at the time it didn't
support WPA so .....

A nice guide for a working NM experience would be:
- drivers needed (done)

- services to have enabled on a machine, their status and runlevel {if i
go to init 3 does the wireless nic keeps it's connection ?}

- system-config-network or other similar tool behaviour {do i have to
configure something ? i what way ? i.e. home static ip, work DHCP and
viceversa}

- wpa_suppicant settings, do i have to configure the file ? and what if
i do have (say) 10 different wpa / wpa-psk network to access to ?

Gimme direction, please  ... i'm Lost and Lostzilla .... ehm ....
Bugizilla is haunting me :-D

--
nicola .:kOoLiNuS:. losito
http://koolinus.wordpress.com     http://www.koolinus.net

"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy."
Linux Registered User #293182