laptop spontaneously wakes up from suspend to RAM while inside case!

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 27 12:59:08 UTC 2006

Paul Johnson wrote:
> With FC5, completely up to date on a Dell D800 Latitude, I have
> experienced this bad problem.  I do ACPI suspend with the FN-Esc key,
> which triggers the suspend to ram.  The system powers down and if I do
> not move the computer, then it stays suspended.  The power LED slowly
> flashes, the system cools down.   However, if I carry it around inside
> the case, for some reason it turns on and (of course) gets really
> really hot.
>
> If you can tell me how to bug shoot this, I will appreciate it.  Is it
> a hardware or software problem?
> I'm reading the acpi_howto
> (http://www.columbia.edu/~ariel/acpi/acpi_howto.txt) but it does not
> speak to this kind of trouble.
>
> Any pointers?

What happens if you close the laptop without suspending (FN-Esc) -
Depending on how your session is configured it might suspend itself
(i.e. if acpi notices your lid button event) ? What happens if you
suspend the machine with FN-Esc, and then close the lid (but don't put
it back in your case). Does it come back to life ?

If the machine stays asleep with the lid closed, but then randomly comes
back to life latter on in your case, maybe you lid button is flaky and
moving around causes false lid-opening events ?

Chris

> --
> Paul E. Johnson
> Professor, Political Science
> 1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504
> University of Kansas

| Dr Chris R Jones         work   : +44 (0)1223 337324         |
| HEP Group  (rm 882)      fax    : +44 (0)1223 353920         |
| Cavendish Laboratory,    home   : +44 (0)1223 510711         |
| Madingley Road,          mobile : +44 (0)7723 327477         |
| Cambridge, CB3 0HE       email  : jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk   |