How to verify speed of a 1Gb/s network?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Apr 28 03:43:12 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 19:32 -0700, Rob wrote:
> Am I right, that the throughput here is 1 Giga BYTES,
> which is 8 Giga bits?

Network card speeds are listed in bits per second.  These are the three
most common speeds:

10 mega bits per second
100 mega bits per second
1 giga bits per second

Don't ask me whether they're playing the SI or bullshit game regarding
mega and giga equalling millions and billions, or using 1024
multipliers.  I gave up trying to remember which different systems went
down that stupid route.  If it said MiB or GiB, I'd know.  Otherwise I
can't tell.

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.