How to verify transmission quality & cables on gigabit network?

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Fri Apr 28 06:12:16 UTC 2006

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Rob wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a cluster, master + 8 nodes, connected via
> a Netgear Gigabit Ethernet Switch (model JGS516).
>
> The cables are of CAT5 type.
> Elsewhere I read that for a gigabit network, one
> should use CAT6 type cables, to avoid bad
> transmissions. Is that so?

Not really. The symbol rate for gigabit ethernet is actually the same as
100Mb/s ethernet, (125mhz) and should run for similar distances over the
same cable. using "better cable" buys you squat if your bit-error rate is
currently zero...

> I already have done basic speed checks, that indicate
> a throughput of about 0.5 Gbps. Hence the network
> appears to operate on half of its spec. speed.
>
> Question 1:
> Should I worry about this reduced speed?

Are your cards in 32 bit 33mhz pci slots?

In general that's about what you can expect without careful selection of
the hardware involved.

> Question 2:
> How to check the transmission quality?

Do you see errors in any significant rate on any of your interfaces?
Duplex mismatches are rare with gigabit ethernet,

> Should I inspect the output of "/sbin/ifconfig eth0"
> for errors/dropped/overruns/collisions etc. in the
> RX/TX lines?

If your error rates increment rapidly while sending data then yeah you may
have an issue there.