Yum - Removal of dependant packages.

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 28 12:28:10 UTC 2006

ded wrote:
> IMHO a package manager should automatically remove any dependencies
> associated with the package being removed *if* removing those
> dependencies doesn't interfere with another package.

It would be difficult for RPM to tell the difference between "something
that is just useful as a dependency and can be removed if it's not
needed", "something that is useful in its own right but the user doesn't
want", "something that is useful in its own right and the user wants to
keep", and "something the user is actually using".

For example, Beagle depends on Evolution -- if you install Beagle,
Evolution also gets installed. If you remove Beagle, should Evolution
get uninstalled?

(Note that Unix access times are not reliable -- many laptop users turn
them off so the disk doesn't need to spin up to write that a file has
been accessed. The file itself might be in cache).

James.
--
E-mail address: james | "Right lads, we've got 45 minutes to score 37 goals.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | No problem with that -- the other team just did."