Grub has disabled my CD boot

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Apr 28 18:01:27 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 11:38 -0600, Bob Wittorf wrote:
> I am trying to upgrade Fedora Core 4 to Fedora Core 5. I put the iso
> disc which I downloaded into my DVD drive, reboot, and wait. My bios
> is set to boot from the CD/DVD drive first. After the bios screen, I
> get the message “GRUB stage 2” and then the menu appears. GRUB
> completely bypasses the boot from CD stage.

Not possible.
Your bios either isn't set to boot from the CD, or your CD is not
bootable / misburned.

grub lives on the boot sector of a hard drive. It does not touch or care
about your bios. Your bios will search for something to boot in the
order it is configured to.

If the CD is configured to boot first but the bios doesn't see it as
bootable because of a bad burn, it will go to the next device - which
likely is the MBR that grub is loaded on.

Check your bios boot order, and if the CD/DVD is configured to boot
first - then you probably have a mis-burned DVD.