Accidental File Deletion

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Apr 29 20:04:01 UTC 2006

Steven Pasternak wrote:
> Hi! I accidentally deleted some files on an ext3 Fedora 5 partition. Is
> there any way to un-delete them? They were deleted with the 'rm'
> command, so there is not a trash can with them. They weren't anything I
> can't live without, though. I just had some shell scripts under ~/bin
> that did simple things. Thanks!
> -Steven

Midnight Commander has an option for undeleting files on ext2 file
systems. You could try remounting the ext3 file system as ext2, and
 try that. You will need to be root. But if the inodes that the
files were using are now being used by new files, then you are out
of luck. (An ext3 file system is an ext2 file system with journaling
added, so you can mount it as ext2 and work on it.)

Mikkel