FC5 docs

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sun Apr 30 12:10:27 UTC 2006

Keith Powell wrote:
> Hello!

welcome.

> Although I'm very much a Fedora newbie, I have been using other Linux
> distros for some time and am OK with the "standard" operations.
>
> However, I have got an FC5 magazine cover disk DVD and want to try
> Fedora for the first time. I've installed it and initial impressions
> are very good.
>
> There are some things which I have not come across before, such as
> YAM, PIRUT, and PUP. I want to find out how to use these packages,
> how to add repositories to them, and which repositories to add. For
> example, I understand that I need to add livna in order to install an
> nvidia driver. (My LCD monitor is off-centre unless I use the nvidia
> driver, rather than the generic nv one.)
...or hit the auto-adjust button? :)
livna we can deal with immediately, seeing as you asked. They package
their yum setup as an RPM, so install it:
rpm -Uvh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-5.rpm

The nvidia drivers are called kmod-nvidia. You will need to run a system
update first as they will not work with the FC5 release kernel.

be careful adding repositories. Some conflict with others. Look at their
websites first. Many of them tell you which repos they are designed to
work with. Personally I use
extras (comes already set up)
livna (see above)
kde-redhat (I'm a kde-weenie when I am not using fluxbox or similar)
oh and the gstreamer-0.10 repos too (just to try them out, really)

> There will be other things I will find which are new to me as well.
> Is there a manual on using Fedora which I could download and print
> out? I would rather do this than keep bombarding the list with basic
> questions. There is no document included on the DVD.

not a manual as such, no.
however there are some very good online docs.
You could print a lot of them off I suppose.
Please read the FAQs first and search the archives (or google).
After that, on the whole, any questions tend to be welcome here. There
are a lot of folk here who will gladly answer you.
try these first:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki
http://www.fedorafaq.org/ (a little outdated now, still talks about FC4)
http://www.fedoraforum.org

Regards

Stuart
- --
Stuart Sears RHCA RHCX
To err is human, to forgive is Not Company Policy.