Dynamic DNS and failed journal

Brian Chadwick brianchad at westnet.com.au
Tue Aug 1 00:03:51 UTC 2006

Brian Chadwick wrote:

    Thanks for your comment Paul

    The thing is, when bind chroots, it should have writeable access to
    its own /var/named, which as far as the host is concerned, is
    actually /var/named/chroot/var/named.

Why should it have write access there? It doesn't by default, and
doesn't normally need it (remember that bind is running as user named,
not as root).

    its needs to know where to load its zone information from, ie.
    /var/named, then chroots.

No, it chroots first. So you should put your DDNS zone file in
/var/named/chroot/var/named/slaves (I expect you have a symlink
/var/named/slaves -> /var/named/chroot/var/named/slaves btw).

    I cant see how that should be a problem for bind to write to its own
    /var/named directory. Anyway I tried it, and changed options
    directory /var/named to /var/named/slaves .... naturally, bind
    couldnt find zone information ...

Don't change the main directory in the options clause, change the file
location for your DDNS zone in its zone clause.

So you have something like:

zone "example.com" IN {
	file "slaves/example.com";
};

Paul.

Well that doesnt work either .... just for a test ... i chmodded all of /var/named to named.named .... stilll the permission error ... I am not using SELinux by the way