Which FC for a Dell poweredge server?

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Wed Aug 2 13:03:35 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 01:19:48AM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Graham Cossey schrieb:
>
> >I'm thinking about FC4 but as this is a development/test server the
> >primary objective is that anything running on this MUST also run on
> >the live server installed with RH3 ES-13.8.3
> >
> >I will of course ensure that the versions of PHP and MySQL etc match
> >the live server.
>
> Probably it is then best to get CentOS 3, which is an RHEL3 "clone".
> RHEL3 is based on ancient Red Hat Linux 9 and thus any Fedora release
> will be more or less different.
> Is the intended hardware RHEL3 certified? It then will run using CentOS
> 3 too.

+1 for CentOS3, as that's closest to the environment you'll be
deploying into.  Red Hat also offers developer subscriptions for RHEL,
something like $300/year for 5 entitlements, RHN etc.  So it's not
terribly expensive to develop and test using the exact same bits that
you'll use for deployment.

Thanks,
Matt

--