Please help: strange rpm upgrade problem:

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu Aug 3 01:34:01 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 16:53 -0700, Robinson Tiemuqinke wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I'm still running 64bit FC4 on a few x86_64 platform
> boxes, and trying to upgrade valgrind to 3.2.0 from
> the fedora development tree.
>
>  the valgrind builds without problems but fails the
> command "rpm -Uvh --test
> /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/x86_64/valgrind-3.2.0-4.x86_64.rpm"
> with the following error messages:
>
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         valgrind = 1:2.4.0 is needed by (installed)
> valgrind-callgrind-0.9.11-1.i386
>
> I've changed the line "Obsoletes: valgrind-callgrind"
> to "Obsoletes: valgrind-callgrind.i386" in
> valgrind.spec file and recompiled the package but
> still no luck.
>
>  The existing valgrind and valgrind-callgrind are both
> .386 packages while the new valgrind 3.2.0 version is
> compiled as a x86_64 package.
>
> On 64bit FC4 O/S can x86_64 packages replace and
> obsolete related i386 packages? if spcified with
> "Obsoletes" instructions in .spec file?
>
> Please help. Thanks a lot.

When doing the install/upgrade you need to include the
valgrind-callgrind package in your rpm command and update both at the
same time.  valgrind-callgrind depends on valgrind so it refuses to
allow you to break the depenedencies.

Alternatively you can do an rpm -e on both packages then do the update
the way you are trying it.