cpu frequencies

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 09:15:27 UTC 2006

On 8/3/06, Tobias Bocanegra <tobias.bocanegra at day.com> wrote:

> hi,
> i have a intel dual core t2700 with 2.16ghz.
>
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 14
> model name      : Genuine Intel(R) CPU           T2600  @ 2.16GHz
> stepping        : 8
>
> the files in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq say:
> affected_cpus:0
> cpuinfo_cur_freq:1667000
> cpuinfo_max_freq:2167000
> cpuinfo_min_freq:1000000
> scaling_available_frequencies:2167000 1667000 1333000 1000000
> scaling_available_governors:userspace performance
> scaling_cur_freq:1667000
> scaling_driver:centrino
> scaling_governor:userspace
> scaling_max_freq:1667000
> scaling_min_freq:1667000
> scaling_setspeed:1667000
>
> now, i try to set 2.17 ghz, but it always stays at 1.7:
>
> echo 2167000 > scaling_setspeed
> # cat cpuinfo_cur_freq
> 1667000
>
> i tried every possible combination, and also other cpu frequency tools
> like cpufreqd and cpufreq-set
>
> funny enough, it worked suddenly once 2 days ago...but i can't figure
> out what was different. i guess, it's either some chipset-internal
> regulation, or some cpu daemon running.
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/2/3/219
> has anyone some advice?
> regards, toby
>
> --

Hi Toby!

A couple of things occure to me:

1. CMOS - I believe must be set to allow other software to change the
frequency.

2. Any choices of CPU frequeny must "scale" with the Front Side Bus
frequencies chosen.  I believe this would be in your Motherboard
Documentation and would involve your choice of memory and capabilities of
your PCI cards etc...

3. I would guess (this is a guess) that the "userspace performance" written
as the scaling_available_governers with the "scaling_governor:userspace" as
mentioned above may have a lot to do with the frequencies below it and the
ability to set a high speed.  I am not sure how CMOS and the controlling
variables talk.

I do believe that a log Google session starting with the first "scaling"
line above would lead you to an answer.  Hopefully those more experianced
and knowledgeable will respond before Google dies of overuse.

Good Hunting!

Tod