Can't boot FC4;avc denied error message

David Desscan ddesscan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 02:25:36 UTC 2006

Hi Tod

   Hi David,

> Do hope I indeed was helpful.

Yes you were very helpful.  I didn't know how to check SElinux labels.  I am
quite confused about how it works. I have downloaded the manual which comes
with RHEL 4 to read about it.  I've set it to permissive mode as suggested
by Stephen Smalley and would have a look at the logs later.  I'll definitely
enable it again after getting a good understanding of its security model.

 The end of Stephen Smalley's response I would spend some time on (might
> well explain the hotplug thing).

I know that tmpfs is a Virtual filesystem managed by the kernel.  My kernel
has been updated but I don't know whether this may have been the cause of
this avc denied and preventing my system from booting. Then would a touch
./autorelabel relabel it?  Kernel version could also be the problem since it
manages tmpfs.  I don't know yet how to check the policy version applied to
my system.

 Apparently other users of FC have also noted this avc hotplug denied. You
mentioned "scaling_governor:userspace for hotplug.  Is that what I should
get for hotplug label?

Have you used fixfiles or touch /.autorelabel to relabel the entire
filesystem?  I am thinking whether the new compilation and installation of
tcp_wrappers and openssh can cause problems with the SElinux security policy
applied to the versions integrated with FC4?

> You might also consider doing an update.
>
> Good hunting!

Yes indeed, there are lots to learn about SElinux security model.

> Tod

Rgds

David