"/var/www/html" permission question

Deepak Shrestha d88pak at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 14:02:04 UTC 2006

Thanks for all the suggestions but I am bit confused here. May be I
should have asked the question in different way. In general what I
wanted to know is, how the root will give permission to group of web
developers (supposing PHP developers) in "/var/www/html" directory so
that they can read/write/modify the contents. In formal words, what is
the best practices for this? Do web developers do their jobs in other
machine than the one which is hosting web, then root will pour the
content after the job is finished???

I am asking this because it is possible to directly edit the web
contents in windows machines (supposing using IIS, dreamweaver).

In linux I guess the question is more on the ownership of ceratin
directory (who own what and how secure when its live in the web??)

> >>You might consider checking out the UserDir directive in the httpd.conf
> >>file (disabled by default), which would enable your users to host pages
> >>(including PHP) in their ~/public_html directory and access them via
> >>http://server.name/~username/
> >>
> >>That would avoid the need to open up /var/www/html.

this option is ok but this is not what I exactly want. What if group
of developers are developing a main website instead of hosting their
personal pages from their home dierectory?

Thanks and good day!