Gnome hangs

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 6 00:59:48 UTC 2006

--- Jos� Rafael Carrero Le�n <josercl at gmail.com>
wrote:

> i've tried with the enforcing=0 option and i still
> get a system hang, i also
> checked the network
> configuration and everything it's fine
>
> this problem is becoming really annoying :(
>
> On 8/5/06, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Jos� Rafael Carrero Le�n wrote:
> > > hi everybody
> > >
> > > when i login using gnome the systems hangs after
> a minute or so, it
> > > doesn't happen when i
> > > use KDE, any ideas?
> > >
> > > thanks in advance
> > >
> > > --
> > > In a world without walls and fences who
> > > needs WINDOWS and GATES?

> > > Jose Rafael Carrero Leon
> > > Linux User #355756
> > >

> > There was a problem caused by some patch added to
> the mesa libraries
> > which caused an SELinux related problem. The
> problem was related to
> > noexec enforcement.
> >
> > To get around the problem and get GNOME to load.
> (Actually the window
> > manager metacity does not load because of the
> error with MESA and
> > SELinux.) You can boot with enforcing=0 during the
> grub bootloader
> > portion as a parameter to the kernel. If it boots,
> you might want to
> > file a bug against mesa.
> > This problem effected development for awhile until
> the patch to mesa was
> > reverted.
> >
> > If the problem is not related to mesa and SELinux,
> you might shoot for
> > problems related to networking such as localhost
> entries incorrect. I
> > had a problem with gnome because of an ethernet
> card not working as
> > designed.
> >
> > Just a few ideas from a non-expert.
> >
> > Jim
> >
> > --
> > If you _really_ feel this strongly about the bug,
> you could
> > either try to increase the number of hours a day
> for all of
> > us or you could talk to my boss about hiring me as
> a consultant
> > to fix the problem for you on an emergency basis
> :)
> >
> >         - Rik van Riel explaining what to do
> against kernel bugs
> >
> > --
> >

> --
> In a world without walls and fences who
> needs WINDOWS and GATES?

Rafael,
   When you log in as root user, Does gnome still not
load?

In any case try the following on your normal account,

$ cp ~/.gnome/gnome-session ~/.gnome/gnome-session.bak
$ rm -rf ~/.gnome/gnome-session

Try again.  Maybe it will work.

Another thing to try(I think it was already
suggested), add another user and login using that
user's profile.  Test out whether that happens to the
new added user.  If it fails and gives you the same
results, you can always fall back to KDE.  Unless of
course you want to use GNOME, save all your important
files/etc, and reinstall Fedora.  Start from scratch
again.  I know that this is a radical answer, but if
all other things fail and you need GNOME.

Regards,

Antonio