gnome-mount crashes when data DVD inserted

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 06:46:48 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 16:25 +1000, Brian Chadwick wrote:
> Hi ll
>
> I have this problem where when I insert a data dvd into my dvd-rom,
> gnome-mount crashes and reports an "unexpected error." (By the way ..
> using FC5). Inserting a data CD instead, works as expected... its only
> data DVD's. (all in the same DVD-ROM)
>
> I have logged a bug report with fedora.redhat but nothing seems to have
> been done with it ...
>
> So I am wondering...do some of you out there have no problem when data
> dvd's are mounted by gnome-mount, or do you all experience the problem
> ... i am wondering whether this is somehow to do with hardware.
>
> Interestuingly, manually mounting the dvd using "mount -t iso9660
> /dev........" etc works perfectly ... so its sseem something to do with
> gnome's hardware abstraction layer, gnome-vfs or gnome-mount.
>
> Further, the gnome-live-disk works flawlessly also ... so its clearly
> something to do with fedora's implementation, since the orginial gnome
> is ok with it ... also ubuntu works fine too.
>
> Any feedback please?
>
> Cheers and Beers

Is it perhaps on an SATA controller?? Using the mount command are you
using something like mount -t iso9660 /dev/sda2 /media/name and does it
work? If so, is your system calling it /dev/hda2?? instead and then it
craps out with a can't locate device error? That's been my rant and
problem.

...the Sin of Ignorance, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256