Lost sound on my notebook after FC5 upgrade

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 09:06:08 UTC 2006

On 8/6/06, Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote:

> Good day list,
>
>         I hadn't picked up on this problem for quite a while as I hardly
> ever
> do anything that needs sound.  But the other day I was doing some work
> (a-hem, actually I was on youtube) and noticed I don't have any sound.
> I ran the system-config-soundcard tool and it says everything it set
> right.  I have attached the log output file scsound.log that the tool
> printed out for anyone who might have a better understanding of this.
> FWIW, I can't do sound of any kind with any app or desktop environment
> or web site.  No sound at all.
>
>         It's not a critical problem, obviously, because it took me months
> before I noticed it.  But it would be nice to have sound on those rare
> occasions then I might want it.  Any and all help is greatly
> appreciated.
>
> TIA,
> Joe
>
> --
> Boring Home Page - http://www.webtrek.com/joe
> See my blog, sumo game ranks and other interesting junk
>

> --

Hi Joe!

Sound on Linux is on my "make a presentation" list (a great way to study
Linux by the way).  Normally I have at least one box up with FC5 but I have
not yet recovered from the loss of a laptop I was using (dual boot Ubuntu
and FC5) so direct research for you right now I can not do.  Hopefully I
will have an FC5 box available by the weekend.

Here is what I am doing.

Did a "locate sound" (you have to do an "updatedb" as root first - it
catalogs all of your file names for locate to use then any key will find).
Got a lot so did a "locate sound > locatesound.text" (makes a big file of
the results of the above command called locatesound.text) and then did a
"less locatesound.text" to read the file page by page.  In the list was
"/var/lib/alsa/asound.state" an so I did a "less /var/lib/alsa/asound.state"
and found apparently a list of the ins and outs of my sound system and thier
current settings.  This tells me that alsa is how I do sound on the is box
(Ubuntu Dapper).

Did some googling.  The most common comment associated with your "FC5 sound
problem after update" was that they tend to mute the sound after an update.
On Ubuntu I have a sound applett on my button bar in Gnome.  When left
clicked I can control volume when right clicked I can open a "volume
control" (center (Volume Control 2.4.12 (Alsa Mixer))) where I can control
the muted or un-muted state of various audio in's and out's.

The second is that they sometimes forget to comple ALSA into the Kernel.  I
might consider doing another update.  Alaways a risk with updates though.

Well, I hope I have done more good than ill here - I hope you do find it.
Please write back and tell us how you are doing with this.

Good hunting!

Tod