urgent help reqd: modifying routing table using ioctl( ) function

Abid Ghufran abid.ghufran at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 12:34:32 UTC 2006

I am trying to use ioctl( ), with the appropriate flag for the
addition and deletion of routing entries, to modify the routing table.

I have an application where a client takes its interface information
and sends it to the server. The server then sends it to other clients.
Clients receiving that information are to integrate that information
in their routing tables.

Now, the problem is that, I am getting very strange behaviour from the
system, when I use the ioctl( ) function.It successfully adds the
entries but the when i view them in the routing table (using route) I
see a REJECT flag ( ! ) with them. Hence the receiving clients cannot
use that entry to route traffic to the original client.

I am not sure how the ioctl( ) function interacts with the kernel and
vice versa.

Can anyone help me on this.

Thanks,

Abid Ghufran.