FC5 Laserjet 5L share to Windows XP ?

Jack Gates jlgates at charter.net
Wed Aug 9 17:42:20 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 13:27, Erich Carlson wrote:

> This is a good tutorial on setting up windows to cups printers:
>
> http://www.owlfish.com/thoughts/winipp-cups-2003-07-20.html

Thanks for the link.  I don't understand this Hostname thing for the
CUPS machine.  What exactly does this mean?  How and where do I
create this Hostname?

<copy from web page>
Hostname lookup

Another common step is to ensure that hostname broadcast by CUPS is
accessible from the Windows XP machine.  If your CUPS machine is
accessible using a name rather than just an IP address then you don't
need to do anything for this step.  If the CUPS machine is not
accessible via it's hostname then you need to set a mapping between
the CUPS hostname and its IP address in the Windows hosts file.
Under WindowsXP the host file is in C:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS, in Win2k replace WINDOWS with
WINNT.  The format is simple:

# Example hosts entry
192.168.0.3 rock

Under some CUPS server configurations you will be able to use the IP
address instead of the hostname, but often only a hostname will work.
<end copy from web page>

Thanks

--
Jack Gates http://www.morningstarcom.net/