Changing Host name help please

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Aug 10 02:02:29 UTC 2006

<--------------------[ SNIP ]------------------->

> I have no idea if I am configuring the correct files on FC5 or if I am
> putting the correct information in the correct format on Win XP.
>
> I am certain that there is a correct simple way to do this networking
> stuff.  I just have no idea what it is.
>
> This is where I am in my understanding.
>
> I am in a room with no reference of which way is up and no gravity.
> So am I right side up or up side down?  I have no idea!
>
> There is a lot of information about networking and identifying
> machines on the network but I have no understanding about what a
> correct configuration looks like especially with what I am trying to
> do now.  Any changes that I try to do don't seem to work even though
> it looks like I am doing what I am supposed to do.  Do any of you
> know what I am trying to ask because I sure don't.  Will some one
> please tell me which way is up?

Part of the problem is that there are 2 different ways to look up
machine names. The machine has its DNS name (hostname). This is tied
to an IP address. The /etc/hosts file on Linux and the
\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\hosts file under Windows let you set up
static hostname/IP mapping. This is the name used by things like web
browsers. It is also used if you use UNIX print services under
Windows. You would put the hostname you want to use for your Linux
box in the hosts file on the Windows machine, along with its IP
address. (This requires that your Linux machine have a fixed IP
address.) You would normally use the same hostname as you have set
on the Linux machine... For example, if your Linux machine is called
server.localnet, and has an IP address of 192.168.1.5, you would
have an entry like this:

192.168.1.5     server.localnet

If you are running Samba, and/or Windows file sharing, then your
machine has another name. This is the netbiosname of the machine. It
is probably not the same as the hostname. It is used for Windows
file/print sharing. On the Linux machine, it is set in
/etc/samba/smb.conf. On the Windows machine, it is set as part of
the network setup. The machines normally identify themselves to
other machines on the network. Samba uses netbios over TCP/IP, so
there is a mapping between the netbios name and IP address. This can
ether be done by running a netbios name server, or by entries in the
lmhosts files. Under Windows, this is in the same directory as the
hosts file. There is a sample one called lmhosts.sam included. Under
Linux, if is in the /etc/samba directory. For your Linux server, you
might have an entry like this. (Using a netbios name of server.)

192.168.1.5     server

For a small network with fixed IP addresses, the hosts and lmhosts
files work fairly well. For larger networks, you are better off
running your own name server, and setting up Samba to become the
"master browser" for Windows networking.

Mikkel