atrpms kernel modules

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Aug 12 23:37:55 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 11:42:46PM +0200, Eric Tanguy wrote:
> When i upgrade a kernel on my system, i have to install manually
> (nothing available as yum update) the kernel module ? At least it is
> what i need to do with spca5xx-kmdl-2.6.17-1.2157_FC5.i686. Why this is
> not do by yum update ?

Update: There is now a yum plugin that takes care of that as part of
an ongoing process to get kmdls into Fedora proper:

o Whenever a new kernel is yum-installed it checks whether kmdls for
  that kernel already exist.

  Since there is always a <= 1 day delay between the kernel package
  release and the kmdls shipped from ATrpms (I don't get any early
  access, so I learn about new kernels just like everyone else when
  they hit the main repos) chances are that upon installation of a new
  kernel kmdls will not yet be available, so there is another async
  mode:

o whenever a yum update is issued the plugin checks whether any kernel
  is missing kmdls that now appeared in some repo.

The necessity upon which kmdls to install is derived from installed
kmdls in the system. E.g. if an old kernel had a kmdl for foo
installed the plugin will try to get that for newer kernels, too. It
would be nicer to have this configurable, but that left for the next
version of the plugin (if there is demand for such a feature at all).

The plugin is currently packaged as yum-plugin-kmdl at ATrpms and was
submitted to become part of yum-utils. ATrpms users using
atrpms-package-config will get that plugin installed automatically.

Any feedback please to the ATrpms' lists or ATrpms' bugzilla for now,
thanks!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net