best video card for use with open source drivers?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Aug 15 14:47:33 UTC 2006

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> OK, I've been following the kernel-module-packaging threads on the
> various lists, and it's clear that Fedora developers are very
> uninterested in supporting kernel modules, and have no respect for
> people who use them :-)
>
> So... does anyone have suggestions for the "best" AGP video card /
> driver combo for 3D gaming (say torcs, for sake of argument), if you're
> restricted to the open source drivers?
>
> Intel's newly-free drivers don't count, because you have to buy a whole
> new computer (no plug-in cards)...
>
> Suggestions?
>

> - Mike

I have had success with the nv driver that comes with xorg and nVidia
cards.  On my machine there is little difference with glxgears between
the nv driver and the nVidia module from lvina.

I am looking at getting a new nVidia car while I can still get a AGP
card.  Just waiting for them to go on sale again.

--
Robin Laing