kernel-2..6.17-1.2174_FC5 will not start; unknown scsi parameter on SATA laptop

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 16:51:43 UTC 2006

I have never seen this before with any kernel updates.  Currently all
versions 2.6.16 start fine, and the 2.6.17 before 2.7.2174 are OK.

I am running FC5 on a Dell Latitude D820 that has SATA hard disk that
FC5 treats as scsi, and it also has a CDRom which plugs into a modular
bay. As best I can describe it, this is a USB device, but linux will
treat it either as ide or scsi, depending on whether the parameter
hdc=noprobe is in the kernel start line.

Now, the problem with kernel-2.6.17-1.2174 (and the kernel-smp version as well)

The kernel panics and it does not leave behind a log file. But I've
copied down the messages that seem important.

scsi_mod: Unknown parameter max_scsi_luns

insmod: error inserting /lib/scsi-mod.ko -1 unknown symbol
(a few more insmod errors concerning scsi)

Unable to access resume device

mount: could not find file system

then the panic happens.

I don't know what else might be relevant.  I'm running the
gnome-power-manager and related updates for hal from the Utopia
website.  That's the devel series that Richard Hughes offers.

I previously had trouble getting a picture card reader to mount in the
scsi subsystem and did put in an option max_scsi_luns in to
modprobe.conf, but when this kernel problem came up, I removed that
option and retried. Same result.

Here's /etc/modprobe.conf:

alias eth0 tg3
alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-hda-intel index=0 single_cmd=1 model=laptop-eapd
remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel
install ipw3945 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ipw3945 ; sleep 1.0 ;
/sbin/ipw3945d
remove ipw3945 /sbin/ipw3945d --kill ; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove ipw3945
alias eth1 ipw3945

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science