Running kernel-smp and trying to remove kernel

Brian Chadwick brianchad at westnet.com.au
Wed Aug 16 22:19:46 UTC 2006

Paul Smith wrote:
> On 8/16/06, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
>> > Does 'yum remove kernel' suffice to remove the old kernels since I am
>> > now using kernel-smp?
>>
>> Try it -- what could possibly go wrong? :)
>>
>> I'm serious -- yum will prompt you first since it's a package
>> removal, and
>> you'll get to review what it's going to do. (And I'll dispell any
>> suspense
>> -- yes, it'll work.)
>
> Oh, Matthew, I am an ignorant, that is true, but not that much! :-)
>
> I know that 'yum remove kernel' will remove kernels, but I was not
> sure whether that procedure entails a complete removal, as I took,
> some time ago, the following note from this list:
>
> package-cleanup --oldkernels
>
> Paul

if you must remove the uniprocessor kernel ... then do

"rpm -qa | grep kermel"

this will list all kernel packages installed ...

then      rpm -e lernel-xx.rpm .... where the one you want to remove is
listed exactly

personally i wouldnt bother ... systems have so much disk space these
days that 30 megs means nothing .... but ... if you want ... this is how
to do it :)

cheers and beers