Duplicate posts- reply

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Aug 16 23:26:40 UTC 2006

On 16Aug2006 17:25, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
| The messages are identical the headers are not. In each case the problem
| arises because hormel.redhat.com sends the same message again at
| different times.

I ran into a similar problem in a former life. We were resending
messages to a particular domain. That domain's mail server would not
complete the SMTP transaction correctly and our mail service thus
decided that the message had not been delivered correctly. It retired
later, and of course the busted SMTP transaction failed again.

However, the receiving mail system had accepted the email. So multiple
copies were dispatched.

It took the combination of a slightly picky (i.e. careful and robust) sending
system at our end (postfix) and a stupid broken system at the other end. As I recall
the other end wasn't sending the final ack for the QUIT or something
like that.

Telnet to their mail server and a manual message injection showed us the problem.