x86_64 or i386?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Aug 19 15:25:31 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:

> Centos 3.x is still a good server choice.  I've always considered
> linux kernels to be stable around version x.x.20 or so.

Which kernels have you had problems with?
I've compiled all, or nearly all, the 2.6 kernels.
IIRC, there was a problem with one, which was quickly corrected.
Otherwise all have worked perfectly.

You keep making these statements about "instability",
but what exactly do you mean by this word?
Windows and Linux used to be relatively unstable,
but both have been completely stable, in the normal meaning of this term,
for years, in my experience.

When you use the term "unstable" would you mind explaining
what you mean by it, please.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366