Postfix SMTP AUTH Problem

Ankush Grover ankush174 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 13:13:01 UTC 2006

On 8/22/06, Chong Yu Meng <chongym at cymulacrum.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to configure SMTP AUTH on an FC5 development system and I'm
> seeing something strange and hoping someone can help.
>
> This is my environment:
> Postfix version: 2.2.8-1.2
> Cyrus SASL: 2.1.21
>
> My Postfix is configured to host virtual domains (cymulacrum.cym and
> virago.cym) and delivers mail via lmtp to Cyrus IMAP. The authentication
> system I am using is not PAM but sasldb2. I have created the following
> accounts inside sasldb2:
>
> [root at aeonflux log]# sasldblistusers2
> admin at aeonflux.localdomain: userPassword
> tom at cymulacrum.cym: userPassword
> dick at cymulacrum.cym: userPassword
> harry at virago.cym: userPassword
> jill at virago.cym: userPassword
> admin at virago.cym: userPassword
> admin at cymulacrum.cym: userPassword
> jack at virago.cym: userPassword
>
> Now, I have already configured Postfix for SMTP AUTH and I am able to
> successfully authenticate with admin at aeonflux.localdomain, by using:
> username: admin
> password: admin
>
> But when I try to authenticate using:
> username: tom at cymulacrum.cym
> password: tom (yes, the password is correct -- I'm using weak passwords
> because this is for a tutorial I am conducting)
>
> I get an authentication error. I get errors for all the other accounts
> except the one above. I suspect that I have to define the realm
> somewhere instead of just using the "@domain", but I really don't know
> where to begin looking.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> --
hey,

Did you added the sasldb2 to smtpd.conf under /usr/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf

for example

pwcheck_method: saslauthd
mech_list: plain login

change as per your need  "saslauthd to sasldb2"

You have to configure sasl settings in postfix/main.cf file also

http://www.securitysage.com/antispam/sasltls.html