Yum Update Mirrors

Christian Campbell ccampbell at brueggers.com
Tue Aug 22 18:41:53 UTC 2006

> > Running FC5 and trying to do a 'yum check-update'.  Was receiving
> > timeouts, and increased the timeout to 300 seconds.  Now,
> when trying
> > to download primary.xml.gz files...the ETA to completion is
> over 500
> > minutes.  I'm assuming the mirror sites are saturated?  I'm
> running on
> > a T-1 connection, so I'm guessing the bandwidth problem
> isn't on my end.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can effectively
> use yum?  A
> > different list of mirror sites?  Any help appreciated.
> >
> > Christian
> [...]
>

> Sometimes there's a conflict between the repositories.
> what's the output for "ls -al /etc/yum.repos.d" on your system?

Actually, after some further troubleshooting, it seems to be a networking
issue.  I tried downloading a file using wget, and it starts downloading
fast, but as the transfer continues, the K/s starts to get lower and lower
until "--.--K/s" appears.  If I break out of the transfer, and restart, same
result.  The yum transfer seems to have the same problem.  I'm SSHed into
the server, and there is no sluggishness there.

Does anyone have any idea why my server's transfer would start out fast at
the beginning but only after 48K or so, it starts to get exponentially
slower until it crawls?

Thanks,
Christian