Gtk Warning cannot open display

PFJ paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Thu Aug 24 09:21:33 UTC 2006

Hi,

> >From what i have read so far my problem lies with the driver.
> the bigger problem is ive got windows xp on it thru a server and am
> trying to duel boot from the one harddrive.
> i am doing this at school so i am limited to what i can do and time.

Am I correct in saying that you're trying to do this on a server?

> 2nd
> I have become interested in linix but unfortunatly do not no how to do
> boot cds from windows(if even possible.

When you get a live CD from a website, it will be in a .iso file. If
you're burning using Nero, you need to select "burn from image", select
the ISO file and burn.

To use the disc, put the disc in the drive and reset your machine. You
cannot run a live CD from inside of Windows.

> the install dvd is redhat core 6 test 2.

This is not a live CD - this is a distro.

> i also cant find test 3 which i think fixes this problem sorry to be a
> noobly pain.

You can't find test3 as test3 doesn't exit.

> ive downloaded yum and Grub i just need sumeone with the skills to
> tell me what to do with it thank you

Are you trying to create a dual boot machine? If you are, create a
partition for Windows, install Win32 first, set it up. Next install
Linux. You will get to a section which asks how you want to partition
the drive. You need to keep the Windows partition and say to use the
rest for Linux and to use grub as the bootloader. Install Linux at the
end Linux will restart. You will be presented with a boot screen which
should identify both partitions, one says Windows, the other Linux.
Select Linux and let it go through it's final set up stages.

Job done.

TTFN

Paul
Dr Who