Authentication with SMART_HOST in sendmail?

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Thu Aug 24 18:48:58 UTC 2006

Steve Searle wrote:
> Which ones?  I always send email directly from my IP address.

AOL, for one. You may not think that's a bad thing...

It depends a bit on which ISP you're using and what sort of services
they provide. If you have a fixed IP address then you're more likely to
get away with it (compared to using one of a pool of dynamic addresses,
which may be used by random virus-infected Windows clients). Similarly,
the more "business class" your service, the more likely they are to
accept e-mail from you.

See, for example,
http://www.demon.net/helpdesk/networkstatus/serviceannouncements/announce27april.html

Hope this helps,

James.

--
New address: james  | "Never trust a species that grins all the time.
@aprilcottage.co.uk | It's up to something."